Monday, May 4, 2009

Genetic Disorders Blog


As the amazing Omega year ends, I continue to enjoy the interesting topics I am studying in my science class. Currently, I am learning genetic disorders. For my genetic disorders project, my assigned genetic disorder was Down Syndrome. While researching Down Syndrome, I learned many different details about this disorder. One detail that I learned is that humans with Down Syndrome have one extra chromosome. This means they have 47 chromosomes, instead of 46, which is the normal amount of chromosomes. Another thing I learned about Down Syndrome is that as a woman gets older her chance of having a baby with Down Syndrome increases. Finally, the last detail that I will tell you about Down Syndrome is that 1 in every 800 children born in the United States is afflicted with Down Syndrome. Also, 1 in every 1,000 newborn children in the world is born with Down Syndrome. Apart from class, I have used the internet to learn about Down Syndrome information not required in the packet. One thing that I learned about Down Syndrome on the internet is that Down Syndrome is a condition that cannot be cured. People with Down Syndrome usually have lower IQs, slow motor development and delayed language development. However, they can lead normal and happy lives. The other thing that I have learned about Down Syndrome on the internet is that doctors can take a blood test on a baby to tell whether or not the baby has Down Syndrome. I learned this information at http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/down_syndrome.cfm. I found this topic to be interesting. I learned so much of this genetic disorder, and I am more aware of it now. I will be sensitive towards the capabilities of people with Down Syndrome.

No comments: