Saturday, January 3, 2009

Class Response


As the school year progresses, I continue to expand my knowledge in my Omega science class. Currently, my class is learning about waves. Waves are disturbances that travel through a medium such as air or water. I have learned that there are two types of waves, longitudinal and transversal. I have also learned that there are numerous examples of waves other than just water waves in the ocean. There are chemical, electrical, sound, and radio waves, and many more. Finally, I learned that a transversal wave is a moving wave that consists of oscillations occurring perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer and that a longitudinal wave occurs when vibrations are in the same direction as the plane of motion. Outside of school, I have studied about waves by using the internet. I visited the website: http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/waves/u10l3c.html . I learned that waves can interfere with each other. Constructive interference occurs when two or more waves have simultaneous displacement in the same direction at the same point. A rogue wave is an example of constructive interference. Also, destructive interference occurs when two or more interfering waves have a displacement in the opposite direction and cancel each other. In my opinion, this topic was so fun and interesting to learn. My class saw wave simulations and we saw a demonstration with a slinky. I had trouble with this topic in the beginning, but as I participated in the activities, I understood it better. Overall, this topic was great.

No comments: