Monday, November 17, 2008

Class Response

My science class is currently learning about symbiosis. I have learned many new things about symbiosis. Symbiosis is a close relationship between two organisms in which one organism lives near, on, or even in another organism and in which at least one organism benefits. I have learned that there are 3 types of symbiosis - mutualism, communalism, and parasitism. Mutualism is where both organisms benefit. Communalism is where one benefits while the other organism is not harmed. Finally, parasitism is where one organism benefits while the other is harmed.

I have learned facts about symbiosis using resources (see below) outside of science class. I learned that I have a symbiotic relationship with the bacteria in my body. I depend on the bacteria to produce vitamin K for me – which helps clot blood. I also learned that hermit crabs and sea anemones have a symbiotic relationship. The sea anemone receives food and gets transported by the hermit crab, and the sea anemone uses its stinging tentacles to protect the hermit crab.

In my opinion, this topic is interesting. I like this topic because it is easy to understand and I am learning it in a fun way. I got to play the Wii and I saw diagrams of symbiosis. It was a great way to learn this topic. For example, I probably would have had trouble learning the difference between the three types of symbiosis. But we drew diagrams and pictures and these helped me to understand. Overall, I liked this topic.

Information from Funtrivia.com
http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopics/Symbiosis-in-Nature-150084.html

No comments: