Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Athletes Foot Bats

In the past 4 tears a mysterious fungus has inhabited over 80 percent of Northern American bats, and killing them. Desperately, a force of scientists is fighting to find a cure for the fungus. However, they can not only use anything, it has to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration. Finally, they have an unlikely weapon, a drug used to treat Athletes Foot. John Eisemann noted this at his speech at the American Chemical Society spring meeting. He said that using off-label use chemicals have been used numerous times before, on other animals, and worked, like to control white-tail deer populations, with rodents. However, the scientists were scared of upsetting the economical balance of fungi, especially in caves. So they put it into testing, on a few bats, and it was successful in killing the fungi. Now the scientists are looking for if it will decrease the die-off rate, and if they possibly will not have too treat entire colonies.
I really enjoyed reading this article, because I found it especially interesting. I am intrigued by the fact that bats fungus can be treated the same as human fungus. This fact intrigued me so much, to the point I was hanging my jaw open in disbelief. Anyway, I really enjoyed this article, and I am sure there are many intriguing articles like this. My opinion on this article is WOW!!




The link is : http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/57531/title/Athlete%E2%80%99s_foot_therapy_tapped_to_treat_bat-killing_fungus

No comments: