Friday, November 20, 2009

Class response 11/20/09

So far in my 8th grade year, we have learned about many interesting topics. In fact, we just finished learning about the phases of matter. While we discussed this intriguing topic, I learned important facts. I learned that a solid could skip the liquid phase and go straight to the phase of gas. This process is called sublimationThe sublimation process can be seen when dry ice is mixed with water. Also I learned about amorphous solids. The amorphous solids change under certain conditions. A great example of an amorphous solid is cornstarch with water, which liquefies under no stress, and solidfies when under stress. Finally, I learned about the phase of plasma. Plasma is very rare, and can really only be found in space.
I was also able to learn about the phases of matter outside of my classroom. On the internet, I found that when people ice skate, they are not skating on solid ice but on liquid water. The pressure from the skater melts the ice, and then when the skater leaves, the water instantly refreezes. I learned also that plasma is harnessed in the everyday world to cut metal. Molecules are ionized to create plasma, which creates great precision in cutting metals. I found this topic to be fascinating and very informative. I definitely did find many new and cool facts on the phases of matter that I did not know before. I can’t wait to learn other new and interesting science topics like this one.


http://www.schooltube.com/video/39886/Plasma-The-fourth-state-of-matter

http://www.helium.com/items/197024-the-science-behind-ice-skating

No comments: