Monday, February 2, 2009

Class Response Blog #7


As always, I continue to learn new and interesting topics in science class, in a fun and exciting way. Currently, we are studying about the laws of Sir Isaac Newton. One thing that I learned about this topic in science class is that Newton came up with three laws. I learned that Newton’s law of gravity (Newton’s First Law) states that an object will not move forever; it needs momentum to continue moving. It also states that movement will eventually stop. Newton’s Second Law of motion states that the force required to accelerate an object with a large mass is greater than the force required to accelerate an object of smaller mass. Finally, I was taught that Newton’s Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I also was able to learn about this topic outside of school using the internet. I discovered that the First Law is called “the law of inertia.” Inertia is defined as the resistance to a change in motion. I also found out that it is thought that Newton observed an apple falling from a tree and realized that a force (gravity) acted on the apple to make it accelerate. This was his basis for the Second Law of motion. The sites I reviewed are: http://teachertech.rice.edu/Participants/louviere/Newton/law1.html and http://www.physicsplanet.com/articles/newtons-laws-of-motion.
I found this topic to be very fun and interesting to learn. I really like what we are doing because now, we are building rollercoasters and skate parks to show how the laws work, and this is really fun to do. Overall, I like this topic and the way we are learning it.

No comments: